Living United Since 1925
Valley of the Sun United Way was founded in 1925 as the Community Welfare Council and Community Chest of Phoenix. In 1942, the organization became known as the War Chest of Phoenix, focusing on World War II community needs. Shortly after the Korean Conflict in the mid-fifties, the organization changed its name again to the United Red Feather Fund, placing an emphasis on helping individuals with specific needs. The United Fund was chartered one year later targeting commercial businesses and workplace donors to provide a unified fundraising appeal for Phoenix’s nonprofit organizations.
The United Way of Phoenix/Scottsdale emerged in 1973 to help address shared community needs. A version of the conventional United Way logo that exists today was introduced at this time. Realizing the efficiencies of partnering together, Glendale, Tempe and Chandler joined the United Way of Phoenix/Scottsdale in the early eighties, forming Valley of the Sun United Way.
Today, over 25 cities and towns make up Valley of the Sun United Way’s community impact area, officially encompassing all of Maricopa County with the exception of Mesa. Serving the needs of our community for over 85 years, Valley of the Sun United Way is committed to advancing the common good by focusing in the areas of education, income and health.