Improve Financial Stability for Families
Lighting a way out of poverty
Many Arizonans are considered low income and do not earn enough money to meet their basic needs, such as putting food on the table and clothes on their back. Saving for a home, college or retirement seems completely out of reach. Adding to the problem, checking and savings accounts – the basic tools for creating savings and managing finances – aren’t used by tens of millions of American adults, putting them at risk in times of crisis and perpetuating chronic poverty.
With Valley of the Sun United Way, you can help these low-income Arizonans gain the knowledge and tools to build their savings over the long term and break the cycle of poverty for themselves and their family.
How we help
With your support, we can provide financial education and support to thousands of Arizonans – which research shows can positively impact family, health and education outcomes as well. Join us as we help individuals and families both meet daily expenses and begin the longer-term process of saving for the future by supporting our four coordinated strategies:
- Assist individuals without a checking or savings account in building relationships with mainstream banks or credit unions
- Educate individuals about personal finances
- Provide job preparation services to low-income adults
- Increase access to public benefits
In 2009, your donations helped to:
- Develop job training and placement programs in targeted neighborhoods, which helped over 2,400 individuals find a job.
- Support Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites that provided 3,100 low-income individuals with free tax preparation assistance and access to special tax credits.
- Develop financial education courses in targeted neighborhoods, enabling 72 participating families to purchase a home.