02/07/2019, By Valley of the Sun United Way
Join Valley of the Sun United Way for an Operation Uplift activity celebrating Read Across America Day, Dr. Seuss’s birthday, for a whole week from February 25 to March 1. Start a reading event of your own at a local school or program!
To Coordinate Your Own Reading Event:
- Contact the school or program and ask about:
- The volunteer policy
- Time that works for everyone
- Your contact person for the day
- Class size if you will be bringing books, bookmarks, pencils, etc. to offer the students (plan for a few extra just in case!)
- Permission to take photos
- Call and confirm 48 hours in advance.
Other Ways To Support Read Across America:
- Sponsor a classroom to provide books for students and a volunteer opportunity for employees. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Make bookmarks with some Pinterest inspiration or an idea of your own.
- Do a book drive for a school or program, calling them to coordinate:
- Age range of the books needed
- Drop off time for books, bookmarks, etc.
- Donate gently used children books to local schools, family community centers, out of school time programs, and shelters.
- Make a commitment to read as a family for 20 minutes a day.
Share Your Story!
No matter how you choose to celebrate reading, share with your story on social media by tagging @myvusw and using #unitephx and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of the school/program
- Number of classrooms/programs you read in or benefited
- How many kids were impacted
- Summary of your experience
Put on your Dr.Seuss hat and have fun reading!
“It is not about what it is, it is about what it can become” - Dr. Seuss
We will have more Operation Uplift events leading up to our week-long volunteer celebration in April. Check out vsuw.org/operationuplift for more information!