Participate in United Way’s National Day of Action with 12 Ways to Volunteer From Home
Beat the heat while giving back on June 21
PHOENIX — Temperatures may be nearing 120 degrees, but there are still some great ways to give back to the community to mark United Way’s National Day of Action on June 21.
While record heat might cause some to hesitate, unsure about how much they can do to give back, these innovative ways to contribute to the community can be done at home with family and friends.
The Day of Action is a great way to join volunteers nationwide to make a difference in the community, and Valley of the Sun United Way is making it easier than ever with a list of twelve philanthropic activities that don’t even require leaving the house, or air conditioning.
“Many community members may not realize how important the summer months are for giving back,” said Francisco Avalos, Director of Engagement for Valley of the Sun United Way. “In our community, this is an especially difficult time for the homeless, children need more opportunities to learn while school isn’t in session and teachers are paying out of pocket for supplies for the upcoming year. We encourage you to find ways to make a difference all year long, and these twelve tips are a great start.”
Activities include hosting a back-to-school drive, creating encouragement cards and putting together teacher supply kits for the upcoming school year. Some activities do require separate purchases.
- Host a Back to School Supply Drive. Help students get prepared for the school year with a few simple supplies. For tips on what to include, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Back-to-School-Flyer-5247.pdf
- Create Recipe Cards. Provide a delicious meal for a deserving family by sharing your favorite nutritious recipe. For instructions, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Recipe_Flyer_Final.pdf
- Summer Relief Kits. Put together toiletry kits to bring comfort to someone experiencing homelessness in Maricopa County. For more information and tips, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Summer-Relief-Flyer-523.pdf
- Book-in-a-Bag. Team-up with coworkers, friends and family and create Valley of the Sun United Way’s Books-In-A-Bag, which are decorated paper bags with a child friendly book, reading tips and more. For instructions, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Book_In_Bag_Flyer.pdf
- Write Encouragement Cards. Create cards with positive phrases to show children who receive VSUW weekend meals that a caring adult believes in them. For examples and more information, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Encourage_Cards_2_Flyer.pdf
- Put together Teacher Supply Kits. We know teachers are going the extra mile and willingly paying out of pocket for classroom materials. Let’s give them a hand by donating much-needed school supplies. For ideas, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Teacher_Supply_Flyer_2.pdf
- Create a Garden Kit. Teach sustainability that could last a lifetime by sharing gardening materials with those who are experiencing hunger. For more tips, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Garden_Flyer.pdf
- Create Student Activity Kits. Put together kits filled with erasers, pencils, crayons, college-ruled paper and more to keep students' skills sharp during Winter Break. For ideas, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Student_Activity_Flyer_2.pdf
- Share The Love. Gather all non-perishable ingredients for one of your favorite recipes and put them in a box with the recipe for a Family Food Box! For examples and instructions, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Share_the_Love_Flyer.pdf
- Make Saving a HOOT! Show your child how saving can be fun with an owl bank craft! For instructions, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Owl_Bank_Engagement_Flyer_Final.pdf
- Teach your kids About Budgeting. Use a 3 way budgeting system to teach your kids about finances and giving. For more information on the system, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Budget_Flyer_F.pdf
- Utilize Sight Words. You can help children learn to love reading by making it simple! For instructions, visit: https://vsuw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/files/SIGHT-WORDS-5117.pdf
Valley of the Sun United Way also encourages the community to save the date for the statewide Day of Action on September 16. The organization will be conducting activities throughout the community on this date with the goal of improving the quality of life for children and families.
For more information, visit: vsuw.org/athome