08/06/2015, By Krista Hinz
Valley of the Sun United Way welcomes Donald A. Smith Jr., President and CEO of CopperPoint Mutual, as its new Board Chair. As Board Chair, he will work alongside fellow Board Members and guide United Way to achieve three key Community Objectives:
1) Ensure Children and Youth Succeed
2) End Hunger and Homelessness
3) Increase Financial Stability of Families and Individuals.
Smith replaces Wells Fargo Arizona’s Lead Regional President Pamela Conboy, whose two-year term as Chair expired June 30. Conboy remains a member of the Board of Directors and co-chairs the Thriving Together Leadership Council, among other committees.
“It’s a privilege to serve as Valley of the Sun United Way board chair. United Way brings diverse sectors of our community together to achieve common goals, including a place to call home, a good education for our children, food on the table and the security that comes with financial independence,” Smith said. “Leveraging our community’s willingness to make a difference, transforms individual lives and builds a stronger community in which we all live and do business.”
“Don is a transformational leader and goes above and beyond to collaborate with business and economic sectors to shape the region’s development. He brings his commitment to developing a skilled workforce, which will create a brighter future for generations to come,” said Merl Waschler, Valley of the Sun United Way President and CEO.
Smith has served on Valley of the Sun United Way’s Board of Directors since June 2008 and chaired the 2011-12 Campaign. He champions Thriving Together, a birth-to-career education initiative, convened by United Way.
Nine new executives who also join United Way’s Board of Directors for 2015-2016 are:
- Chris Camacho, President and CEO, Greater Phoenix Economic Council
- Ken Cherry, President, UPS Desert Mountain District
- Jerry Fuentes, President, AT&T Arizona and New Mexico
- Sandy Gibson, Chief Operating Officer, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona
- Eleanor Millwood, Area Executive, Bank of America
- Curtis Reed, Managing Director AZ & NV Middle Market Banking, JPMorgan Chase
- Patricia Rourke, Arizona Market President, Bankers Trust
- Avein Saaty-Tafoya, CEO Adelante Healthcare
- Steven Zandpour, Regional President for Arizona, BMO Harris Bank
“Valley of the Sun United Way is honored to have these dedicated community leaders as Board Members,” Waschler added. “Each brings tremendous knowledge and experience to the Board, which will help transform lives and usher in positive change throughout Maricopa County.”