Picture your street, or a row of homes in a nearby neighborhood. Do you know which families have a meal on their table three times a day? 82,000 households are experiencing chronic hunger.
On any given day, too many families in Maricopa County struggle with chronic hunger, not knowing where their next meal is coming from. Valley of the Sun United Way partners with people in our community that are working to meet the need for daily meals, while at the same time create the systemic change that will end hunger completely.
We can achieve the first step of this bold goal, and eliminate chronic hunger from 27,000 households, by focusing on those most in need:
- Children, who live in about half of the households experiencing chronic hunger.
- Pregnant mothers, who must eat for two but don’t have enough food for one.
- Senior citizens, who go without meals so they can afford their utilities or medication.
- Hardworking parents forced to make impossible decisions while caring for their families.
By increasing assisting families to sign up for nutrition benefits, senior citizens with home delivered and congregate meals, families with emergency groceries, and complimenting that with WeekEnd Hunger Backpacks, Breakfast in the Classroom, and financial coach training we can break the cycle of poverty and improve food security.
You can help End Hunger in Maricopa County:
- GIVE: Your donations connect people experiencing chronic hunger with meals.
- VOLUNTEER: Assemble or transport WeekEnd Hunger Backpacks or volunteer from home.
- ADVOCATE: Join our End Hunger Team. We’ll keep you informed to help you take action to End Hunger.
Sign up to receive news, success stories & volunteer opportunities.