- Increase by 20 percent children who enter school ready to succeed by 2020.
- Increase by 5 percent youth who graduate high school by 2020.
Prepare our children for a bright future: give them the tools they need to succeed.
Unfortunately, not all children have a level playing field. Children in families that struggle with poverty can be left behind or miss out on key opportunities to get an adequate education. That’s why Valley of the Sun United Way has made it one of our key objectives to Ensure Children and Youth Succeed.
We focus on four key transition points that influence a child’s success in school and life. Your support enables us to partner with parents, schools, businesses, community leaders and non-profits to ensure all children master these key transitions:
- Ready for kindergarten
- Reading at grade level by the end of third grade
- Graduation from high school
- Preparing for college or career
It’s critical to start the process early, as a child begins to grow and evolve. And, reading is perhaps the most critical element of ensuring a quality education — research shows that children who can’t read at grade level by the end of third grade are four times less likely to graduate from high school.
You can help Ensure Children and Youth Succeed in the Valley:
- GIVE: Your undesignated donations empower us to provide the resources and tools to meet the need. Find out more ways to give.
- VOLUNTEER: Participate in a Literacy Fairs to promote reading to young children at select local schools.
- ADVOCATE: Share our tips and resources with your friends, family and colleagues.
When children and youth receive the support they need to reach their full potential as adults, our entire community thrives.
We are currently seeking proposals for Train the Trainer (ToT) services, along with coordinating additional professional development trainings. Please download the RFP document below for more information. Proposals are due January 10, 2018. Contact Jessie Hinton at email@example.com or 602-301-5412 if you have any questions.
Sign up to receive news, success stories & volunteer opportunities.