The Situation in Maricopa County
1 in 4 children live in food insecure homes.
- There are 82,000 families in Maricopa County facing chronic food insecurity.
- 1 in 2 of children living in food insecure home are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
- Sometimes, families face unexpected expenses, such as medical bills, that cause them to have to make decisions like paying for medicine or paying for groceries.
The Solution: Emergency Food
Items that are donated to food pantries and food banks may not have a good variety of nutritional value, often lacking in produce and protein. With donations to United Way, we’re able to help these programs fill in the nutritional gaps. Through the emergency food system we are able to address the immediate need of being able to put food on the table, making it easier for individuals and families to focus on financial stability or other matters that can help them get back on their feet.
“I can honestly say I feel so much better eating a nutritious lunch with people I now call friends. Looking back, I was just “snacking” and isolating myself from the world. Since I began coming to the YWCA I feel so much better. I eat healthier and I learn a lot from the presentations.”
- AZ YWCA Participant
Ending Hunger for Local Kids
- More than 462,000 individuals have received the emergency food they needed
- We partner with more than 15 programs to help families get groceries and meals
- Help 538,000 individuals receive meals
How Can I Help?
Provide a Meal
Join the fight to end hunger when you offer a donation to provide a meal. Every little bit helps provide the proper nutrition to food insecure individuals and families in our community. A donation of just $1 can help an individual receive emergency food.
WeekEnd Hunger Backpack Assembly
Join us to put the food items together in the bags, in preparation for delivery.
WeekEnd Hunger Backpack Delivery
Available each Friday during the school year, deliver the meal bags to the schools so they are available for teachers to give out to their students at the end of the school day in preparations for the weekend.
Contact email@example.com for a list of upcoming WeekEnd Hunger Backpack events. See other volunteer opportunities at volunteer.vsuw.org.