Maricopa County is taking action with Valley of the Sun United Way’s Operation Uplift — a community-wide movement to inspire thousands of volunteers across the Valley to Rise Up.
Rise Up for a community-wide movement of volunteerism and meaningful connections to transform Maricopa County into a community of action. Operation Uplift is being led by an Organizing Committee comprised of community residents, business and community partners.
Operation Uplift serves a variety of communities throughout Maricopa County, including Maryvale, Guadalupe, Central City and South Phoenix through several service opportunities driving civic engagement. We rise up to strengthen schools, grow local food systems and address community needs by first listening, then lacing up our shoes and getting to work.
Volunteers have the opportunity to sign up for Operation Uplift events. In celebration of National Volunteer Month, we are asking Maricopa County to Rise Up to Help at any of the dozens of volunteer events throughout April.
Operation Uplift So Far
See a recap from each event at the links below.
- September 8 – Operation Uplift in Maryvale
- October 27 – Operation Uplift in Guadalupe
- November 17 – Operation Uplift in Roosevelt School District
- December 13 – Project Connect Day of Action
- January 18–21 – Honoring the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
- January 24 and 25 – Maricopa Veterans StandDown
- February – Read Across America
- March 23 – Girl Scout Badge Day
- March 30 – Hamilton Elementary School Beautification
- April 2 – WeekEnd Hunger Backpack Assembly
- April 4 – Maxine O. Bush Garden Clean Up
- April 5 – Fight for Neighborhoods: Bret Tarver Elementary
- April 6 – Madrid Elementary School Beautification
- April 9 – Fight for Neighborhoods: Brooks Community School Partners Day & CommUnity Night
- April 11 – CPLC Community Garden Day
- April 13 – Imes Elementary School Beautification
- April 22 – Fight for Neighborhoods: Earth Day Project at Spaces of Opportunities
- April 24 – Golden Gate Community Center
- April 25 – Spitalny Elementary Garden Clean Up & Glenn L. Downs Elementary Garden Clean Up
- April 26 – Fight for Neighborhood: Guadalupe
- April 27 – World Bazaar Celebration
- April 29 – Pueblo del Sol Garden Clean Up
- April 30 – Fight for Kids: School Readiness Kits + Family Celebration at Academia del Pueblo
- May 8 – Women United Luncheon
- May 11 – Sullivan Elementary School Beautification
Apply for an Operation Uplift Micro-grant
To maximize the impact this movement can have, we are introducing the Operation Uplift Micro-grant Program. The program invites any community member, public school, or 501(c)(3) organization, within Maricopa County, with a volunteer project idea to apply for a micro-grant to receive assistance with their project.
Tier 1 – Basic Tools
Get the tools you need to complete your volunteer project. We have collaborated with the Phoenix Community ToolBank to offer almost any tool for any volunteer job. (See a list of tools here.) From community clean ups to school beautifications and community murals we can help you get the tools you need to get the job done.
Tier 2 – Additional Tools and Materials
If your need extends beyond tools, Tier 2 offers additional materials. In addition to providing the tools needed to complete the project, examples of materials in this Tier may include paint, roller pads, drop cloths, trash bags, hardware, tape, and more.
Tier 3 – Financial (pilot period; case-by-case consideration)
In addition to Tier 1 or 2, Tier 3 offers a opportunity to apply for a potential financial grant up to $200 in total project costs to local 501(c)(3) organizations or public schools.
How to Apply
If you have a group that is ready to Rise Up to Help a community project to improve Maricopa County, download the Operation Uplift Micro-grant Program Guidelines and Application, review the program guidelines and requirements, and then submit the completed application to email@example.com.FLYERGUIDELINESAPPLICATIONTOOL AGREEMENT
Operation Uplift Toolkit – Coordinate Your Volunteer Opportunity
Everyone is invited to participate in Operation Uplift. Are you coordinating a community volunteer event and want to share the logo and message? We have a variety of materials you can use, including posters, graphics, and more in English and Spanish. Download at the links below. And please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us about your event!
Social Media Toolkit
Social Media Graphics
Photos/Email Header Images
- Green - JPG / PDF
- Orange - JPG / PDF
- Blue - JPG / PDF
Vinyl Banners (96x36)
UPLIFT SPONSOR: $2,500
- Logo Recognition on VSUW Volunteer Website
- Logo placement on official “Operation Uplift” event t-shirt
- Name call out in press releases
- Recognition as a Sponsor in 2 social media posts
- Inclusion on “Operation Uplift” volunteer recruitment communications
To learn more about becoming an Operation Uplift sponsor, please contact:
Vicki Fiorelli · 602-631-4866 · email@example.com
Thank You to Our Sponsors