Get On Your Way to Read Across America Day!
Written by Valley of the Sun United Way
Published on Feb 7, 2019
Join Valley of the Sun United Way for an Operation Uplift activity celebrating Read Across America Day, Dr. Seuss’s birthday, for a whole week from February 25 to March 1. Start a reading event of your own at a local school or program!
To Coordinate Your Own Reading Event:
- Contact the school or program and ask about:
- The volunteer policy
- Time that works for everyone
- Your contact person for the day
- Class size if you will be bringing books, bookmarks, pencils, etc. to offer the students (plan for a few extra just in case!)
- Permission to take photos
- Call and confirm 48 hours in advance.
Other Ways To Support Read Across America:
- Sponsor a classroom to provide books for students and a volunteer opportunity for employees. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information.
- Make bookmarks with some Pinterest inspiration or an idea of your own.
- Do a book drive for a school or program, calling them to coordinate:
- Age range of the books needed
- Drop off time for books, bookmarks, etc.
- Donate gently used children books to local schools, family community centers, out of school time programs, and shelters.
- Make a commitment to read as a family for 20 minutes a day.
Share Your Story!
No matter how you choose to celebrate reading, share with your story on social media by tagging @myvusw and using #unitephx and contact us at email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the school/program
- Number of classrooms/programs you read in or benefited
- How many kids were impacted
- Summary of your experience
Put on your Dr.Seuss hat and have fun reading!
“It is not about what it is, it is about what it can become” - Dr. Seuss
We will have more Operation Uplift events leading up to our week-long volunteer celebration in April. Check out vsuw.org/operationuplift for more information!