On any given day in Maricopa County, 6,000 people are spending the night in their cars, in parks or canal banks. Many are experiencing homelessness for the first time due to a job loss, foreclosure or an unexpected medical crisis. Others have been on the streets for decades.
Many are families with children. Without a stable place to call home, children are at risk of low school attendance and poor academic achievement rates.
The bottom line is homelessness affects us all. Your support of Valley of the Sun United Way helps us to break the cycle of poverty in our community by focusing on:
- Permanent Supportive Housing – With our partners, we are developing permanent supportive housing units that provide on-site support to individuals who have experienced long-term homelessness.
- Project Connect – Through monthly Project Connect events in communities throughout Maricopa County, we are linking guests experiencing or near homelessness with a variety of health and human services for food, wellness checks, showers, employment, housing, and more.
- Emergency and Transitional Housing – Annually, we invest approximately $3 million in emergency shelter services and other interventions such as transitional housing and domestic violence shelter.
You can join the fight to break the cycle of poverty by ending homelessness
- GIVE: Your donation directly to United Way connects people with shelter and support to get individuals and families off the streets and back on the path to stability. Find out the many ways to give.
- VOLUNTEER: Check out our wide variety of volunteer opportunities, including becoming a guest guide at a monthly Project Connect.
Sign up to receive news, success stories & volunteer opportunities.