The first day of Kindergarten is one of the most exciting days of a child’s life. But if the child isn’t ready, it can be the first day of a long struggle.
That’s why Valley of the Sun United Way places a strong emphasis on making sure children are ready for Kindergarten as part of our Community Objective to Ensure Children and Youth Succeed.
Studies show that 80 percent of a child’s brain develops by age three. So it is critical to provide children a strong foundation for learning during these formative years. Our Success By Six program is designed to accomplish this by bringing together a network of organizations to supply parents and caregivers in high-need communities with key resources, including:
- School readiness trainings and resources
- Comprehensive developmental screenings
- Early literacy programs
- Accessible and affordable quality child care
All these elements are critical in preparing children to begin their academic careers and get off to a solid start in Kindergarten.
Your support in one of the following ways makes all the difference in helping us meet our Community Objectives.
- GIVE: Your donations empower us to prepare children to succeed in school.
- VOLUNTEER: Help us promote reading to young children.
- ADVOCATE: Share our tips and resources with your friends, family and colleagues.