The Situation in Maricopa County
Only 46% of students passed the state reading exam.
- Children who are not reading at grade level by 4th grade are held back.
- Teachers don’t always have the time to do one on one guided reading sessions with struggling students.
- Nearly 30% of millennial volunteers say they would participate more often if there were easier ways to find opportunities and more flexibility.
The Solution: Vello
Vello, our online tutoring program, pairs teams of passionate professionals with classrooms to provide guided reading support through a safe and secure digital setting. Together, students and volunteer tutors read e-books using super simple screen sharing and audio. Volunteers are able to do their weekly 30-minute tutor sessions from anywhere with a computer and internet access, making it easy to do without leaving their workspace. Students have 24/7 access to an extensive e-library for themselves and their family members.
“In the beginning, each one of the children that I read with was at a level I wouldn’t assume a child their age would be. But once we become comfortable with each other and continued to read, I could hear them becoming stronger, and stronger. That for me made every moment even more worth it.”
- Vello Volunteer
Encouraging students through guided reading
- 83% of teachers saw improved reading skills in their tutored students
- 86% of parents noticed improved at home reading engagement
- Tutored students saw nearly 4% higher growth rate in reading progress compared to non-tutored peers
- 70 classrooms funded
- 700 Vello students using Vello
- 700 Vello volunteer tutors
How Can I Help?
Adopt a Classroom
Provide an entire classroom with 24/7 access to a virtual library that students can access at home. Give students in that classroom the one-on-one guided reading tutors they need to help them improve their reading skills. By adopting a classroom you are also providing the computer, headset, software, and other essential items for a Vello setup. Contact Vicki Fiorelli at firstname.lastname@example.org for sponsorship opportunities.
Build a team of employee volunteers to tutor students for a minimum of one 30-minute session a week. In these sessions volunteers help the student think about the story they are reading, sound out words, and other key skills!