Join The End Hunger Team
Sign up to receive regular updates about ways to combat hunger in our community including news, event invitations, and success stories.
- Reduce Chronic Hunger by 33 percent in Maricopa County by 2016
- Reduce Chronic Hunger by 66 percent in Maricopa County by 2020
Picture your street, or a row of homes in a nearby neighborhood. Do you know which families have a meal on their table three times a day? On average, one in 20 households hide growling stomachs.
On any given day in Maricopa County, 82,000 households struggle with chronic hunger, which means they may not know where their next meal is coming from. Valley of the Sun United Way and partners like the Association of Arizona Food Banks and the Arizona Diamondbacks are working to meet the need for daily meals, while at the same time create the systemic change that will end hunger completely.
We can achieve the first step of this bold goal, and eliminate chronic hunger from 27,000 households, by focusing on those most in need:
- Children, who live in about half of the households experiencing chronic hunger.
- Pregnant mothers, who must eat for two but don’t have enough food for one.
- Senior citizens, who go without meals so they can afford their utilities or medication.
- Hardworking parents forced to make impossible decisions while caring for their families.
By increasing access to free and reduced school and summer meals, meal distribution to seniors and participation in expectant mother nutritional programs, we can positively impact individual lives and our entire community.
You can help End Hunger in Maricopa County:
- GIVE: Your donations connect people experiencing chronic hunger with meals
- VOLUNTEER: Assemble or transport WeekEnd Hunger Backpacks.
- ADVOCATE: Join our End Hunger Team. We’ll keep you informed to help you take action to End Hunger.
Sign up to receive news, success stories & volunteer opportunities.